(989) 792-9900 email@saginawdems.org

Voter Information

What counts as Voter I.D.?

If a person has registered to vote in years past or if a first time voter and registered within 30 days of the election or re-registered if they have moved, the following rules apply:  We must educate our voters so they know their rights if they are questioned at the polls. 

The following is acceptable ID.

  1. Driver’s License or State ID (even if issued from another state as for truck drivers, etc.) 
  2. Federal or State government-issued photo ID 
  3. US passport 
  4. Military ID with photo 
  5. Student ID with photo from a high school or an accredited institution of higher education 
  6. Tribal ID card with photo 

Also, if a voter does not have photo ID in their possession at the polls, they may sign the Affidavit on the back of the Voter Application and still vote as long as they are registered 30 days before the election and show up on the polling list of that precinct.  Otherwise, this becomes a Provisional Ballot which is not counted until the local clerk verifies the person is allowed to vote in that precinct. 

Where Do I Vote?

To find your polling location please visit this link.

Where Can I Get Michigan Voter Registration Information?

You are qualified to vote if:

  • You are a Citizen of the U.S.
  • You are at least 18 years of age on or before the next scheduled election.
  • You have been a resident of Michigan for at least 30 days before the election.
  • You have registered on or before the close of registration preceding the election.

The last day to register before an election occurs at 5 P.M. on the 30th day preceding the election. It is not necessary to re-register for each election unless you have moved and/or changed your name.

Locations to Register to Vote:

  • Secretary of State Branch Office
  • County Clerk’s Office
  • City or Township

As soon as your local City or Township Clerk accepts the registration, you are officially registered to vote.

Voting Procedures 

  • The polling place is where you go to cast your ballot.
  • Polling places are also referred to as “precincts.”
  • The precinct you are assigned depends where you are registered.
  • When you arrive at your polling place, a precinct inspector will ask you to fill out an Application to Vote to verify your name and address which appears on the list of registered voters assigned to that precinct. If you are in the incorrect precinct, you must go to the correct precinct in order to vote.
  • The ballot type you vote on depends on the system used by your local clerk. The precinct inspectors will provide information on how to mark your ballot.

Polling Locations
Polling places may change depending on the type of election (regular elections or school district elections). If you are not sure of your polling place, please contact your local City/Township office.

Would you like to see a list of polling places or the County Commissioners map

Absentee Voting Procedures
Click Here

Outside the U.S.
If you are temporarily outside the U.S., you may use a Federal Postcard Application (FPCA) form to register. The FPCA forms are distributed through U.S. embassies and military bases. A Michigan resident who moves and registers out of state may not re-register to vote in Michigan until he or she reestablishes residency here. 

You may also register at the same time you renew your driver’s license by mail. Eligible drivers receive a voter registration application in the mail with their driver’s license renewal information. 

Additional information and assistance can be obtained through the Federal Voting Assistance Program and the Overseas Vote Foundation
Accessibility Voting
Federal and state law requires every city and township to provide accessible registration and voting locations for voters who are disabled. 

If you require voting assistance, ask the election workers for help; a reason for the needed assistance does not have to be stated. Two inspectors will assist you in the voting station. An elector who is blind, disabled, or unable to read or write may be assisted with his or her ballot by any person of the voter’s choice, except the following: the voter’s employer or agent of that employer, or an officer or agent of a union to which the voter belongs. 

For more information, contact your city or township clerk. Hearing-impaired residents may contact the Bureau of Elections at (517) 241-4320 (TTY).

Do I Qualify for Absentee Voting?

Absentee voting applications and ballots can be obtained from your City or Township Office where you are registered. During a Village election, contact your Village Clerk. If you wish to receive an Absent Voter ballot for the Regular School Election, contact your School District Administration Office.

You may apply for a Absent Voter Ballot if:

  • You expect to be absent from your community the entire time the polls are open on election day.
  • You are physically unable to attend the polls without assistance.
  • You cannot attend the polls because of religious beliefs.
  • You have been appointed a precinct inspector outside of your community.
  • You are 60 years of age or older.
  • You are in jail awaiting arraignment.

You may apply for an absent voter ballot by:

  • Letter
  • Post card
  • Absentee ballot application
  • In person at your local clerk’s office
  • If you are eligible, with a Federal Postcard Application. (See below)

When sending your absentee ballot, please including the following information:

  • Your name
  • The date of the election
  • The address where you are registered to vote.
  • The reason why you are requesting an absent voter ballot.
  • The address where you wish to receive your ballot. (This must be your registration address, an address outside of your jurisdiction of registration, or some other type of residential institution.)
  • Your signature and the date of your request.

The postcard application, technically called the Federal Post Card Application (F.P.C.A.), can be used to both register to vote and to apply for an absent voter ballot. The use of this application is restricted to:

  • Members of the Armed Forces and their dependents.
  • Members of the Merchant Marines and their dependents.
  • U. S. citizens temporarily residing outside of the U.S.

The deadline to apply to receive an absent voter ballot by mail is 2 p.m. on the Saturday prior to the election. After this, you may vote an absent voter ballot in person at your local clerk’s office up until 4 p.m. on the day before the election.

How Do I Request an Absentee Voter Ballot?

Step 1: Download your absent voter ballot request (click this link to download).

Solicitud para obtener Papeletas para Votar en Ausencia (Absent Voter Application) ( haga clic aquí).

Step 2: Send your absentee ballot request to your local clerk (click this link to find your local clerk).


Where Can I Get a Registration Application?

Please download the following application from the State of Michigan (click here to be redirected).

How Can I Make Sure I'm Registered to Vote?

You can do an online search at the MI Secretary of State Website or in person at your local SOS branch

Does the State of Michigan provide any information voting?

Absolutely! We recommend using the Michigan Secretary of State’s One Stop Voter Website to determine if you are registered to vote, get information on and for candidates, find out voter registration status and polling locations, find information on campaign finance disclosures, and more!

Where can I Find My Legislator's Voting Records?

The voting records of Michigan legislators are available here.

What's the Best Way to be a Well-Informed Voter?

There are lots of ways! Get involved, ask questions, do your research, and check out Vote Smart!

Who Are My Elected Officials?

To find out information on who your elected officials are on the local, state, and federal level, visit the Saginaw County Directory here.

Can I Please Have a Document Explaining my Rights as a Voter?

Have a Question?

Didn’t find what you’re looking for? Drop us a note and we’ll get right back to you.

13 + 14 =